Wednesday, June 11, 2008

 

Day 62 Tuesday June 10



driving along the coast




Left Alajuela, Costa Rica

Temp: 28 degrees C

Sunny

A rough start….our clothes were still soaking wet so we had to send them out to a laundry service for drying.

I had been trying since San Jose to confirm my suspicions that we were given bad info on the type of road running from Quepos to Dominical, but the embassy assured us it was paved, the waiter at breakfast assured us it was paved, the government map shows it paved and a policeman I asked in Playa Hermosa said it was paved. The police in Quepos said five kilometres were crushed rock, but he rest was pave.

We didn’t have any real choice regardless as the Pan-American was closed in the area of the Cerro de la Meurte due to serious mudslides and rockfalls.

So off we went down the west coast to Quepos where we turn inland for the high mountains and San Isidro del General. Imagine our disappointment when we turned off at Quepos and were faced with forty five kilometres of loose gravel, mud and sand! Someone stole the paved road!!! I’m sure it was there yesterday, at least everyone said so! Three miserable scary hours later we were back on pavement and looking like mud wrestlers! What an “adventure”!

loose gravel road and 'touring' tires do not mix well
No spills though -due to Richard's expertise!

We crossed 3 one-lane bridges like this, slated steel with plates laid down for 4-wheeled vehicles

mud-rock slide with only 1 lane cleared

We arrived in San Isidro around supper time and lucked into a nice hotel. The owner, Melvin Madriz Picado, has a Honda Shadow Sabre and we got to talking about bikes and travel while I was washing the mud from my bike.(he provided the bucket and hose….) and he insisted that we have a drink together later.

After supper I went off to the reception to get the keyword for the wireless internet and as I was returning the owner came out and asked me to join him and two friends for a nice bottle of Chilean red. The conversation was mostly about travel, bikes and the attractions and wonders that Costa Rica has to offer. My Spanish was sorely taxed but I was relieved to find that it was considerably well received and generaly understood (a tribute to Melvin’s graciousness and patience that I never felt any embarrassment in spite of all my gaffes).

Susie was sad tonight to find that a jade and red coral necklace I had bought her in Samara had come unclasped and fallen off somewhere on the way here. Too bad. It really suited her and she was quite fond of it.

Kilometers - Daytrip: 237km total: 13,217
Gas:
$ 30.25
Lodging: Hotel Los Crestones $ 55


Comments:
Hi you people!
Whoever is doing the writing and I don't think I should just assume that it is Richard but it very well might be,is one good writer! So interesting that I sent the link to a friend and she also is enjoying reading about your adventures!!
Too bad that you lost that necklace, Sue! I would be sad as well.
 
Yes, Richard is doing the writing. I do the editing and post the pictures.
He is a good story teller! lol
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]